Thursday, September 23, 2010

Welcome to My Kitchen!

Have you ever heard of a food blog event that doesn't ask you to cook at all? Wait till you read this. This week Nupur of One Hot Stove is hosting a real fun event which asks the participants to write about their own kitchens, how they organize it and post some snaps of their spaces.

The event is just for this week. I was out of town and wasn't sure until today if I would be able to participate. But now that I can, I am so glad. Every cook longs for a great looking, clutter free and well organized kitchen, and I am no exception. I just cannot work in a kitchen that is full of clutter and my biggest necessity is to have everything organized. But apartment living hardly offers you any options. I am not unhappy with my kitchen, I only wish it had more storage space.

(Left side of kitchen)

Mine is a 9x11 rectangular kitchen. On left side are cooking range, 2 counters, sink and a dishwasher. This side has a total of 4 overhead cabinets. 2 small square ones, and a full and a half cabinet. It also has a half cabinet under the first counter. The counter next to the stove is used the most, and drawer under it holds all the cooking tools.


The next counter has a corner rack for dinner plates, a caddy for forks & spoons, and a dish drainer. This counter is not used very often for prep purposes, and whenever I need it, I simply keep aside the dish drainer. Simple rods, a couple baskets and s-hooks from Ikea really helped organize things.

At the very end of left side is a small pantry that houses my groceries. The recycled pasta sauce and Bournvita bottles carry all dals, dried beans, and other items. They have really optimized the use of pantry. I also have some groceries in simple Rubbermaid take along containers just because of the fact that they are stackable.

(Pantry)

On the other side of the kitchen is the fridge and next to it is a counter. However, this counter is of no use since microwave takes almost the entire space. It also has a full overhead cabinet that holds extra spices and snacks.

(Right side of kitchen)

Next to this counter is some free space, where I have a bookshelf. Sounds odd... isn't it? I was looking for something which I could use for appliances and other stuff. I have spent a lot of time looking for storage solutions. I looked for baker's racks and kitchen cabinets, but they were too expensive. Then I bought a simple folding table, but had to return it as it was too big for the space. Then I had this thought of using a bookshelf and it worked just perfectly. Thankfully, it doesn't look that odd (or may be I am used to seeing it there).


The drawers under the microwave counter are full of steel bowls, knives, strainers, peelers and some other stuff.


I am very fond of storage bins as they prevent clutter. On the topmost shelves of overhead cabinets (which are accessible only with the use of a footstool) I have packets of snacks (like parle-G, granola bars), spices and the like put up in plastic baskets. I would hate to dump food packets on the shelves and then rummage through them to find what I need, so I bought these baskets from dollar shop - a simple and cheap solution. So far I am happy with my kitchen. It is totally functional, plus there is nothing more I can do to it even if I want to as there is no more space.

If you too want to share your kitchen spaces, join the "Kitchen Link Party" here.

16 comments:

  1. Very nice well organized kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice and neat kitchen. i like the bookshelf idea a lot.

    -Mili

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kitchen is just so neat, bright and lovely! Funny thing is, I have a bookshelf in my kitchen too, I did not post a pic of it but it hold a lot of my plates, bowls, pans etc. Great way to make use of the space. Thanks SO much for playing along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous- Thank you.

    Mili- Thank you. Yeah bookshelf is a good way to store things. And it is economical too.

    Nupur- Thank you for hosting. That bookshelf has solved a lot of organizing issues for me. Yeah it's funny that you have it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the kitchen! I really like the dish storage in the corner. That is something I'd like to do, as soon as I get a bit more counter space :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. radioactivegan- Thank you. The corner dish storage is a real space saver.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The place is so cute n well organised!!Must be a pleasure to spend time in such a serene surroundings!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prathima- Thank you. I do love spending time in the kitchen. Love the fact that it has plenty of sunlight. Always feels bright in there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your kitchen is so well organized. Bright & lots light.. Check out my kitchen when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very well organized kitchen. I have to periodically arrange mine to look that neat.

    Shilpa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pavani- Thanks! I will definitely check yours.

    Shilpa- Thanks! I feel since I have a fixed place for everything, keeping it organized becomes a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  12. such a great and neat looking kitchen.Being organized is so important in the kitchen right? I am sure you must be cooking with great enthusiasm and positive energy in this lovely kitchen of yours

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Amruta, I really really liked ur kitchen. The two things I specifically liked are the cup hanger and the small jar holder above the stovetop. Could you please tell me where did you buy those?

    Thanks much!

    Regds,
    Surekha

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mahek- Thank you. Being organized is very important for me. It makes things a lot easier.

    Surekha- Sure. Both of them are from Ikea. They sell rods, baskets and hooks in different sizes. The jar holder is actually 2 different baskets hanged on a rod and fitted on wall with screws. The cup holder is simply a combination of rod mounted on wall and s-hooks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just stopping by from FoodieBlogRoll where you're featured today. I'm SO surprised -- I had the same kitchen!

    My husband and I lived in "the 'burg"(in your same development) a couple years ago and LOVED our kitchen there! Very spacious, lots of natural light. Enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how organized your kitchen is. I love how bright and clean it is :)

    ReplyDelete