Tuesday, December 1, 2009

These are a few of my favorite things...

There are certain kitchen gadgets we all home cooks use extensively. I am sure everyone has a favorite gadget that is a must have in their kitchens. There are a few things I just can't do without. Here are some of my favorites.

1. Mixer-Grinder:
This one is probably the most commonly used gadget in Indian kitchens. When I came to US, I did not have one, and often felt so helpless without it. The first purchase I made in my India trip was this one. Ever since, I have been using it at least 3/4 times a week. I use it to grind dals and rice for making idli, dosa and wada batters and also use it extensively to make chutneys and milkshakes.

2. Salad spinner:
This one is my absolute favorite. It becomes so easy to dry your veggies, especially lettuce and greens. Sometimes, I also use it as a double duty sprout maker :)

3. Food processor:
Almost every household has a food processor. Though I normally use my mixer-grinder for making batters, food processor makes work a lot easier. It is such a savior when I need large quantities of dough to make purees and rotis. Of course, how can I forget shredding the carrots for carrot halwa.

No comments:

Post a Comment